Black seed oil comes from black seeds, which are derived from the Nigella Sativa flower. They are grown around the world although they originate from North Africa, Europe, and Asia. Black seeds are anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-viral.
Other common names for black seed oil include Black Cumin Seed Oil, Kalonji Oil, Habbatus Sauda, and Nigella Seeds.
There are many benefits to black seed oil such as:
- Liver maintenance: Improves liver function and prevents damage
- Hair health: The anti-viral and antioxidant properties produce and strengthen hair follicles and may restore hair loss
- Heart protection: Contains healthy fatty acids omegas 6 & 9 and phytosterols which increase elasticity in blood vessel walls (preventing blood clots). They also lower cholesterol and blood sugar
- Skin health: Due to the vitamins, fatty acids and amino acid content, black seed oil protects against sunburn, fights wrinkles, moisturizes and clears up the skin
- Prevention or reduction of allergies/sinuses: Black seed has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which quickly alleviates itching, sneezing, and nasal congestion. It may also promote restful sleep.