Only nine percent of Americans consume the minimum vegetable requirement of two to three cups per day, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Are you part of that nine percent? If you realize you aren’t incorporating enough greens every day, or if you want to add extra nutrition into your diet, invest in a super greens powder!
Super greens are packed with nutrients that benefit the skin, eyes, digestion, liver, and the immune system. They also contain protein, an array of vitamins and minerals and amino acids that are crucial for our overall health and well being. Read below to see the different types of greens and their health benefits.
Spirulina is a freshwater algae that high in copper, thiamin, riboflavin, iron, magnesium, trace minerals, amino acids, beta carotene, protein and vitamins A, B, and K.
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves immunity
- Lowers inflammation
- Purifies the blood
- Boosts energy and endurance
- Assists with digestion
Chlorella is a blue green algae that is high in gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), folate, vitamin B12, and iron.
- Contains the highest amount of chlorophyll of any plant
- Purifies the blood and liver, draws out industrial pollutants, metals and toxins
- Freshens breath and body odor
- Contains lutein and beta-carotene which can improve eye health and cardiovascular health
- Can improve mental clarity and nerve function
- Balances hormones and may alleviate symptoms of PMS
- Helps with tissue growth and repair
Wheat Grass is a type of young grass found in the wheat family that is high in enzymes, protein, chlorophyll, flavonoids and vitamins C and E.
- Restores alkalinity
- Increases red blood cell count
- Cleanses blood, organs, and gastrointestinal tract
- Clears and tightens skin
- Boosts energy levels
- May improve eyesight and night vision
- Can help with nerve function and mental wellbeing
Moringa, also known as the drumstick tree, is high in essential amino acids, carotenoids, phytonutrients, calcium, iron, fiber, and vitamins A and C.
- Can lower cholesterol, blood glucose, and triglyceride levels
- Detoxifies heavy metals
- Reduces inflammation
- Anti-aging (from vitamin C, beta-carotene, quercetin, and chlorogenic acid)
- Monitors blood sugar levels
- Is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral
- Contains a high level of antioxidants which benefit the thyroid
You can incorporate green powders in smoothies, oatmeal, salad dressings, granola, energy balls, chia pudding, and yogurt. You can even add them to your favorite beverage!